Banquet Captain On-call
Atlanta Marriott Northeast/Emory Area, Atlanta, GA
Supervise and coordinate activities of kitchen and dining room workers during banquets to ensure that food is served promptly by performing the following duties.
What you will be doing
- Consults with Food Service Manager or Executive Chef on such items as serving arrangements and additional employees and equipment needed.
- Hires and supervises temporary banquet employees.
- Requisitions table linen, china, glassware, and silverware.
- Observes food being served to ensure that food is correctly garnished and arranged on plates.
- Review all BEO's and menus prior to presentation to clients to insure revenue maximization, audio visual services, service fees, and room rental. (Upsell at every possible opportunity)
- Administer the banquet and catering office, including billing timeliness and accuracy, BEO accuracy and daily changes.
- Insure and monitor Banquet Rooms communications for guests and hotel associates.
- Assist Food and Beverage Director and Catering sales staff in developing and marketing local catering promotions including wedding packages, Christmas parties, office parties, local meetings, holiday functions, packages and charity events.
- Insure compliance with all Liquor Laws, Sanitation Codes, OSHA and MSDS programs.
- With Food and Beverage Director, develop and implement upgraded theme breaks, buffets, and promotions for new banquet menus.
- Enforces and knowledgeable of safety and fire evacuation plans.
- Check with group meeting planners before and during every function to insure total satisfaction.
- Responsible for conducting an associate guest awareness training seminar.
- Responsible for ongoing upgrades of props, decor, and usage thereof.
- Insure proper set up of hospitality suites and functions for VIP's and special functions, involving all Food and Beverage needs.
- Insures all guarantees are enforced per the hotel guarantee policy.
- Ensures check presentation and guest signature on all functions. Responsible for collecting a form of payment prior to function leaving.
- Conducts pre - function roll call meetings
- Strives to meet and exceed Banquet/Catering financial and guest service goals.
- Develop and implement off premise catering program.
- Administrates new associate recruitment and limits turnover through proper hiring and training procedures.
- Attends all required meetings.
- Administrates scheduling, associate evaluations, forecasting and other required tasks.
- Performs all duties assigned by the General Manager, Director of Food and Beverage, Assistant General Manager, and Director of Marketing as required.
- Conduct monthly Food and Beverage Inventories, and equipment inventories as scheduled.
- Insures equipment is in proper working condition. Controls waste, breakage, and linen abuse.
- Maintains cleanliness and organization of all banquet facilities.
- Coordinates physical building maintenance, work orders, etc., with Engineering to insure best possible presentation to our guests is upheld.
- Coordinates physical building maintenance, work orders, etc., with Engineering to insure best possible presentation to our guests is upheld. Job Description Banquet Captain
- Maintain a professional and positive attitude and direct open communication at all times.
- Oversees banquet food preparation with Executive Chef to insure presentation and food quality meets and exceeds guest expectations.
- Insure all banquet staff are in uniform at all times.
- Insure all set up of a meeting are completed a minimum of 30 minutes prior to the scheduled starting time.
- Insure the response time for any changes in set up is no more than the standard of 10 minutes.
- Coordinate and insure the set up of food buffet a minimum of 5 minutes prior to break.
- Insure the proper re-freshing of the breaks and water stations (minimum of every 60 minutes or as needed if sooner).
- Insure any messages are delivered within 5 minutes of time received.
- Insure Audio Visual Equipment is set up within 30 minutes of scheduled function.
- Must be knowledgeable of all in-house services as well as local information and be able to assist customers when questioned.
- When approached by a customer with a problem, associate will empower himself/herself to assist the customer at all times.
- Associate will make every effort to obtain customers name and use it when addressing customer.
Directly supervises 5-20 employees in the Banquet and Catering. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Job Description Banquet Captain
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Fifth year college or university program certificate; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two to four years related experience and/or training.