Plunge Beach Hotel, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Who Will this Job Appeal To?
- Culinarians who enjoy busy kitchens.
- Culinarians who love to learn and are passionate about serving others.
- Certification: There are a lot of great chefs out there that never took a culinary class and most of them are better than the ones that have. This can stop good candidates from applying. Can we remove this or is it a corporate requirement?
- Multi-Unit: Is it possible to add? Multi-Unit and Events experience a plus
The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting the Executive Chef in the profitable and effective operation of all food production in the restaurant outlets and events; establishing a standard of quality and presentation as well as maintaining food labor costs according to budget
Responsible for all aspects of supervising the Kitchen and Kitchen Associates, ensuring the quality preparation of all menu items and proper handling/ storage of all food items in accordance with standards.
- Multi-unit and Event experience a plus!
- 2 years experience in a similar position within a Hotel or Restaurant.
- Work all stations in Kitchen.
- Food Managers handling certificate.
- Fluency in English both verbal and non-verbal.
- Certification of Culinary training or apprenticeship desirable
- Compute basic arithmetic.
- Provide legible communication.
- Knowledge of food cost controls.
- Previously worked with all products and food ingredients.
- Operate, clean and maintain all equipment required in job functions.
- Plan and develop menus and recipes.
- Expand and condense recipes.
- Ability to:
- perform job functions with attention to detail, speed and accuracy.
- prioritize and organize.
- be a clear thinker, remaining calm and resolving problems using good judgment.
- follow directions thoroughly.
- understand guest’s service needs.
- work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team.
- maintain confidentiality of guest information and pertinent hotel data.
- ascertain departmental training needs and provide such training.
- direct performance of staff and follow up with corrections when needed.
- Exert physical effort in transporting more than 50 pounds throughout work areas.
- Endure various physical movements throughout the work areas.
- Remain in stationary position for up to 2 hours throughout work shift.
- Effectively communicate with guests, management and co-workers to their understanding.
What you will be doing
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment. Use equipment only as intended.
- Anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
- Maintain positive guest relations at all times.
- Be familiar with all Hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond to guest inquiries accurately.
- Resolve guest complaints, ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned work areas.
- Establish the day's priorities and assign production and prep task to staff to execute.
- Review daily specials and offer feedback to Staff.
- Review Banquet Event Order sheets and make note of any changes; post function sheets for the next 7 days.
- Meet with Executive Chef to review schedules, assignments, anticipated business levels, changes and other information pertinent to the job performance.
- Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the shift.
- Assist in physical inventory of specified food items for daily inventory.
- Review the market list.
- Requisition the days supplies and ensure that they are received and stored correctly. Communicate needs with Executive Chef. Ensure quality of products received.
- Report spoilage and shortages to Executive Chef.
- Communicate to Stewarding any equipment needs, Banquet plate up assistance, cleaning schedule/project status, Health/Safety and sanitation follow up.
- Ensure that staff report to work as scheduled; document any late or absent employees.
- Coordinate breaks for staff.
- Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
- Check and ensure that all opening duties are completed to standard.
- Ensure that each Kitchen work area is stocked with specified tools, supplies and equipment to meet the business demand.
- Ensure that recipe cards, production schedules, plating guides, photographs are current and posted.
- Check P.O.S. printers on the line; ensure they are in working order and there is enough paper available for the shift.
- Ensure that all staff prepare menu items following recipes and yield guides, according to department standards.
- Monitor performance of staff and ensure all procedures are completed to the department standards; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Work on line during service and assist wherever needed.
- Be aware of any shortages and make arrangements before the item runs out.
- Observe guest reactions and confer with service staff to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Paid Vacation
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- An Equal Opportunity Employer
- We provide equal opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, or disability.