Executive Chef/Director of Food & Beverage
Borrego Springs Resort & Spa, Borrego Springs, CA
Coordinates activities of and directs training of cooks, and other kitchen workers engaged in preparing and cooking foods to ensure an efficient and profitable food service by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors. Supports food & beverage needs for the resort (Arches Restaurant, Bar, Golf Course, Banquet Space.) Reports to General Manager.
What you will be doing
- Operates a clean/well maintained work area while holding the staff accountable for production/execution needs, daily cleaning, opening/closing duties
- Ensure adequate staff levels in kitchen to ensure optimum guest experience
- Upholds and enforces standards keeping consistency, quality and safety as the highest priority
- Maintains facility cleanliness and workplace safety
- Communicates in a professional manner with FOH team regarding product shortages, specials, food running, VIP tables and business volume
- Maintains standards of proper receiving, rotation and storage of all food product, small wares, china and supplies
- Attends and contributes to daily line-ups to promote staff education and to motivate staff.
- Executes daily line checks to ensure product freshness
- ensures both initial (new hire) and ongoing training of cooks, prep cooks and dishwashers
- works with staff to teach/enforce quality and consistency standards
- performs annual and 90-day performance reviews under direction of Executive Chef
- Responsible for and oversees the of food/supply budgets.
- Manages and operates with a clear sense of profitability
- Demonstrates ability to identify problem areas/products and put into place solid plans to provide solutions while maintaining standards
Specific Focus Areas
Production and Portion Control
- Assign’s to staff daily (based on anticipated business level) with follow-through verifying that tasks are being completed to established/stated standards.
- Monitors station prep for quality, speed and adherence to recipes
- Food Storage and Kitchen Organization
- Monitors condition of Meat Cooler/Freezer and works with staff to maintain orderly and safe conditions
- Monitors condition of Restaurant cooler on a daily basis and works with staff to maintain a clean, orderly and sanitary environment
- Monitors condition of Restaurant Kitchen and Dish area to ensure cleanliness and safety.
Recipe Book Maintenance
- Enters recipes into standardized format and keeps recipe book up to date with current recipes. Updates recipes if/when techniques or recipes change. Works with chef to develop and test new recipes.
- Updates station sheets, ensures that they are being distributed to staff and that they are being properly utilized
- Completes schedule for restaurant cooks/dish/prep staff in keeping with company standards weekly.
- Requisitions/recruits new staff. Conducts initial interview and refers candidates to Executive chef for final interview. Conducts hiring in good communication with Human Resources department at all times.
- Executes any/all needed new hire paperwork prior to new hire being allowed to work
- Communicates any/all mandatory information to staff including but not limited to: Orientation schedule and benefits eligibility
- Consults with Human Resources/GM for any disciplinary action and adheres to proper procedure
- Completes daily produce/protein orders and weekly bread order in accordance with anticipated business levels.
- Acts as primary contact with produce, protein and bread companies. Works with said companies to resolve any quality/service issues in a timely manner.
- Communicates with other chefs to ensure that all purchasing needs are met for entire F&B dept in keeping with stated schedules
- Takes steps to ensure that all kitchen employees are in proper uniforms and that any/all linen items are available to staff.
- Acts as point of contact with linen company to resolve any product/service issues in a timely manner
- Acts as point of contact with Chief Engineer regarding any repairs/maintenance that need to be performed in the kitchen
- Advises and trains staff on proper equipment use
Inventory and Quarterly Verification
- Participates in monthly inventory count as prescribed by Accounting/GM
- Participates in quarterly verification with representative from Accounting
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Culinary School Degree or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of related culinary experience in a similar environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to walk and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Available of the first of the month following start of employment
- Medical / Dental / Vision
- Life Insurance / Long Term Disability /Short Term Disability
- 401K with a match!
- Paid Vacation Days / Paid Personal Days /Paid Holidays